Welcome Professor Kelly's English 150 Students!
Welcome Professor Kelly's English 150 student!
Here are some resources from College of Marin Library that are especially helpful for your English assignments. Please click here for a list of all of the library's databases.
This guide will help you:
- Use encyclopedia articles to build background knowledge
- Identify appropriate databases for your essays and research paper
- Navigate through databases
- Limit or refine your search
- Use advanced research techniques
Get Help from the Library
Learning Resource Center, 2nd Floor
Fri: 8 am - 2 pm
Librarian Research Help:
Mon-Thur: 8 am - 8 pm
Indian Valley Campus
Bdg 27 (Main Building), Room 124
415.883.2211 Ext. 8505
Mon, Tues: 10 am - 6 pm
Librarian Research Help:
Mon-Thur: 10 am - 2 pm
Get Help with Writing & Learning
COM Library can help with research. Need help with writing and other aspects of your project? The Learning Resources Center is ready to help!
Academic Search Complete Database
Academic Search Complete is College of Marin's best database for many subjects. It is a powerful, multidisciplinary database and thus can be used to find information on research paper topics for any of your classes at College of Marin. It includes:
- Magazine articles
- Academic journal articles
- Newspaper articles
Gale Virtual Reference Library Database
Gale Virtual Reference Library contains college-level subject-specific encyclopedias; good starting point; get an overview of a topic and identify some keywords you can use to search for articles.
Points of View Reference Center Database
Please note Professor Kelly's guidance: "Understand which aspects of your topic are fact, which are opinion, and which are belief. Research topics based solely on belief are poor research topics. This is why ready-made pro-con topics such as abortion, drinking age, legalization of marijuana, animal rights, and euthanasia are unacceptable. They are based on beliefs and, as such, are not arguable in an academic context."
Contains many topics, each with:
- an overview (objective background)
- point (argument) and
- counterpoint (opposing argument)
For each topic, this database also offers a Guide to Critical Analysis. Providing a balance of materials from all viewpoints, Points of View Reference Center includes over 1,300 main essays, leading political magazines, newspapers, radio & TV news transcripts, primary source documents and reference books.
CQ Researcher Database
CQ Researcher includes current, hot topic reports providing unbiased coverage of health, social trends, criminal justice, international affairs, education, the environment, technology, and the economy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to College of Marin students' most frequent questions about:
- A - Z List of Databases at College of Marin Library
- Citing Sources
- Copyright for Faculty at College of Marin
- Evaluating Websites
- Fake News
- Finding Books
- Finding Government Statistics
- Get Started
- Getting a Library Card and Checking Out Books
- Google Scholar
- How to Read a Scholarly Article
- How-To Videos: Tips for Advanced Research & More!
- Magazines and Newspapers in Print at COM Libraries
- Public: Open to the Public
- Research Process: A Step-By-Step Guide
- Search Techniques
- Technology at College of Marin
- Thesis Statements
- Types of Sources
- Upcoming Events at College of Marin Library
- What is Peer-Reviewed Research?