Welcome ESL students!
The resources listed are recommended for ESL students. However, depending on your research topic the library may have other databases that you might find useful.
Please click here for a list of all of the library's databases.
Read It! database "was created for anyone who has a good foundation in English grammar and reading skills. It is a place to find reading material about many subjects. Articles are short, and written to support your reading skills as you learn about topics in English that you need for school and everyday life."
Mango Languages is an online language-learning system that can help you learn languages like English, Spanish, French, Japanese, Brazilian Portuguese, German, Mandarin Chinese, Greek, Italian and more.
It's free! You need a MARINet library card (not a College of Marin library card), which you can get for free at College of Marin library.
Step 1. Click this link: http://marinet.lib.ca.us/screens/resources-atoz.html
Step 2. Click "Mango Languages"
Step 3. Create a profile if this is your first time using Mango Languages.
OR Log in to Mango Languages if you already have a profile.
Mango Languages offers these programs for learning English:
- اانجليزي للمصريين
- الإنجليزية للمتحدثين بالعربية
- անգլերեն հայերի համար
- Anglais pour Francophones
- English for Children
- Englisch für Deutschsprachige
- Αγγλικα Για Έλληνες
- Inglese per Italiani
- 한국인을 위한 영어
- Angielski Dla Polaków
- Inglês para Brasileiros
- Английский Для Русскоговорящих
- Inglés Para Hablantes De Español
- Türkçe Konuşanlar için İngilizce
- Tiếng Anh Cho Người Việt Nam
Student Reference Center Database
Student Research Center quickly searches general reference, magazines, and newspapers in one search! This database includes Academic Search Premier, Newspaper Source Plus, Health Source: Consumer Edition, and MAS Ultra.
ESL Course Guides
- Becoming America
- College of Marin Literary Magazine
- Designing Our Destinies
- English 120SL - Sukoski
- English as a Second Language 66
- English as a Second Language 76
- English as a Second Language 86
- ESL 40 - Massion
- ESL 40 - McKinnon
- ESL 86 - Lieberman: Librarian John Erdmann
- Intensive English Program
- Intensive English Program: Level Three
Get Help from the Library
Learning Resources Center
Mon-Thurs: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Fri: 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Indian Valley Campus
Main Building, Room 124
Get Help with Writing & Learning
COM Library can help with research. Need help with writing and other aspects of your project? The Learning Resources Center is ready to help!
Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to College of Marin students' most frequent questions about:
- A - Z List of Databases at College of Marin Library
- Citing Sources
- Copyright for Faculty at College of Marin
- Digital Citizenship
- Evaluating Websites
- Events at College of Marin Library
- Fake News
- Finding Books
- Finding Government Statistics
- Get Started
- Getting a Library Card and Checking Out Books
- Google Scholar
- Hidden Figures
- How to Read a Scholarly Article
- How-To Videos: Tips for Advanced Research & More!
- Magazines and Newspapers in Print at COM Libraries
- Public: Open to the Public
- Research Process: A Step-By-Step Guide
- Search Techniques
- Technology at College of Marin
- Thesis Statements
- Types of Sources
- What is Peer-Reviewed Research?