About Your Library Card
Why do I need a library card?
To check out materials from the College of Marin and MARINet Libraries.
How can I get a library card?
You must be a College of Marin student, faculty, staff, or Emeritus member
You must be enrolled in the current semester
You must be able to show your student ID card, driver's license, or passport-OR- log into MyCOM to show address and telephone page.
Where can I use my library card?
- You can use your College of Marin Library card at any MARINet Library.
What happens if I lose my library card?
- You can get a replacement card at the Library's loan desk
- There is a $1 replacement fee
What happens if I am no longer a student at the College of Marin?
- Your card is only active while you are enrolled
- If you plan to return to the College of Marin, keep your Library card!
- Your card will re-activate when you re-enroll.
- Checking out a book means that you can borrow it from the Library.
- Some books you can check out to take home.
- Some books you can check out for use inside the Library.
How many books can I check out at one time?
- You can take out up to 15 books.
What can I check out from the College of Marin Library?
- Textbooks (also called "Course Reserves")
- Books, eBooks, Audio Books, and DVDs from MARINet Libraries
What are rules for textbooks and other course reserve materials?
- You must use a College of Marin library card to check out these items.
- Most reserve books can be used for 2-hours in the Library.
- A few items can be checked out overnight.
- Reference Books
What do I need to check out a book from the College of Marin Library?
- A College of Marin library card (see above for information on getting a library card).
- If you do not have a College of Marin library card, you can use a MARINet library card.
- Books from the General Collection: 3 Weeks
- Books in the Opposing Viewpoints Series: 1 Week
- Course Reserves: 1-Hour to 1-week, depending on the item
- Materials from MARINet: 3 Weeks for most items
- You can also renew most items
- At the loan desk
- At the book drop in Parking Lot P5 (behind Learning Resources Center, adjacent to College Avenue).
- At the book drop outside the Learning Resources Cener (at main entrance, near the door to the Mail Room).
- At the book drop inside the Learning Resources Center (2nd floor, between Tutoring center and main entrance to the Library).
Where can I return a book on the Indian Valley Campus?
- At the loan desk
- At the book drop in Parking Lot P2 (at east end of parking lot, near the Main Building).
- At any MARINet library, including both College of Marin campuses.
- And, you can return College of Marin materials at any MARINet library.
Fines and Fees
|Material||Fine / Fee
||Renewable||Holds|| Loan Period
|General Collection||$0.25 / day||twice||yes||3 weeks|
|ESL Books||$0.25 / day||twice||yes||3 weeks|
|New Arrivals||$0.25 / day||twice||no||3 weeks|
|Oversized Books||$0.25 / day||twice||no||3 weeks|
|Pamphlets||$1.00 / day||once||yes||7 days|
|2-Hour Reserve Books||$1.00 / hour||once||no||2 hours|
|Overnight Reserve Books||$5.00 / day||once||no||overnight|
|3- Day Reserve Books||$1.00 / day||once||no||3 days|
|7-Day Reserve Books||$1.00 / day||once||yes||7 days|
|Replacement Library Card||$1.00||n/a||n/a||n/a|