Get Help from the Library
Learning Resource Center, 2nd Floor
Fri: 8 am - 2 pm
Librarian Research Help:
Mon-Thur: 8 am - 8 pm
Indian Valley Campus
Bdg 27 (Main Building), Room 124
415.883.2211 Ext. 8505
Mon, Tues: 10 am - 6 pm
Librarian Research Help:
Mon-Thur: 10 am - 2 pm
Counseling 133 and the Library
Welcome, Counseling 133 students! During the library session, we will practice researching careers to help prepare you to complete the Career Exploration Project. Use the yellow tabs on this guide to help you track down this information after our session.
Coun 133 Career Exploration Project
Here's the assignment, from Professor Escobar's handout. I have highlighted parts that the library can help with:
"To research your career, use at least 3 sources of information. You can use America’s CareerInfonet- www.acinet.org and The Occupational Outlook Handbook www.bls.gov/oco/home.htm as well as any other resources we have discussed. You can also use one source from a professional journal or a book (this is optional). List these three resources at the end of your paper on a separate sheet. Refer to your MBTI and Strong Interest Inventory results to answer some of the questions below. This paper should be typed, 12 font, 1” margins, and should be a minimum of 3 pages double-spaced. You must address each section below in a separate paragraph to receive full credit for this assignment."
1. Describe the career you have chosen to explore for this project. How did you decide to choose this career? What are the typical job duties involved on a day to day basis?
2. What are your personality characteristics that match this career? Include personality strengths that were identified in you MBTI results. Please also include any self-identified personality strengths that were not listed in your MBTI results. How do you see these personality characteristics being a good fit for this career?
3. How does this career match your interests listed on your Strong Interest Inventory report? Please feel free to also include how the career matches any self-identified interests that may have not appeared on the Strong Interest Inventory. Why might it be important for your interests to match your career?
4. What types of skills are required for this career? Out of these skills, which skills do you already possess? Which skills do you need to further develop? How might you further develop these skills? (If this section overlaps with question #2, that is ok.) In addition to skills, reflect back on your top values that you identified during Values Card Sort we did in class. Would any of your top values be fulfilled through this career? If so, how? If not, how might you ensure your values are fulfilled in other ways either within the career our outside the career in your personal life?
5. What are some advantages and disadvantages of working in this career? Please explain. (The answer to this can utilize your own knowledge of the career, information you have found online, or information gained in your informational interview)
6. What is the pay and job outlook for this career in California? How do you feel about the indicated pay and indicated job outlook?
7. What are the educational requirements for this career? Do you already meet the educational requirements for this career? If not, please identify specific ways in which you can receive the educational requirements. (Example: If the position requires a Bachelor’s degree and you do not currently have a Bachelor’s degree, what major will you need to pick and what university offers this major? If you need help with this section, please email me and let me know)
8. What interesting facts did you discover about this career? Overall, do you feel this career may be a good match for you? Please explain. If you feel the career may not be a good match for you or if you are still unsure as to how you feel, please identify steps you can take to help
On the last sheet of your Career Exploration Project, you must list the three sources that you used to write your paper. The sources do not need to be listed in a particular format. Please include enough information so I know which sources you used. (Example: If you use a website, include the name of the website as well as the url/web address)
Meet Your Librarian
(415) 457-8811, extension 7869