Want to read more about bias, stereotypes and diversity in the hiring process?
Here's a resource guide for learning more about issues raised at "Hiring the Best: Legal Requirements and Best Practices for Screening Committees" led by Kristina Combs, Executive Director of Human Resources and Labor Relations. Have more suggestions? Please share your recommendations.
This book has been recommended by Marco Gonzalez, Professor of Behavioral Sciences at College of Marin. Read The Economist's review of the book.
Quick Reads and Tips
Research & Longer Articles
This bibliography is adapted from "Research and Tips for More Equitable and Effective Hiring Practices" by Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
- Bielby, W.T. (2000). Minimizing workplace gender and racial bias. Contemporary Sociology.
- Biernat, M., et al. (2008). Standards to suspect and diagnose stereotypic traits. Social Cognition.
- Dovidio, J.F. and Gaertner, S.L. (2000). Aversive racism and selection decisions: 1989 and 1999. Psy
- Heilman, M.E. (2001). Description and prescription: How gender stereotypes prevent women’s ascent
- LaSala, M.C., et. al. (2008). LGBT faculty, research, and researchers: Risks and rewards. Journal o
- Michaels, W. B. (2011). The trouble with diversifying the faculty. Liberal Education.
- Sagaria, M.D. (2002). An exploratory model of filtering in administrative searches: Toward counter-h
- Smith, D.G., et al. (2004). Interrupting the usual: Successful strategies for hiring diverse faculty
- Turner, C.S.V. (2002). Women of color in academe: Living with multiple marginalities. Journal of Hi
Want To Do Your Own Research?!
Want to find out more about a particular aspect of hiring? Try one the librarians' favorite databases:
Type a few words in the search box and see what you get!
Suggested search terms: higher education faculty hiring diversity
If you find something you like, you can email it to yourself. Don't like your results? Play around with your search terms. Still not finding what you want? Contact a librarian -- we are happy to help!