History of the United States II
Welcome! This guide will help with your Hist 118 research topics. Here are some sample questions:
1. Give a brief background on the US intervention in Mexico during that country’s revolution, and explain what happened and why. Would you agree with Zinn that it was well timed to unite the country?
2. What was the “court packing plan” that FDR had for the Supreme Court? Why did he think it was necessary and why did he not, in the end, carry it out?
3. What is the story of the voyage of the St. Louis in 1939? Why were the refugees not admitted to the USA and what was their fate?
4. Describe President Dwight Eisenhower and John Foster Dulles. What motivations might we find in their personalities and experiences that could explain their approach to foreign policy in the 1950s?
The guide will help you:
- Find useful history sources
- Learn to identify good sources
- Use databases
and, most important
- Distinguish between primary and secondary sources
- Know how to use them appropriately in research projects
- Find primary and secondary sources.
Here are directions from Professor Cheney, his syllabus, and a couple of examples of questions that you might research.
- Provide an outline of your presentation
- Include main ideas
- Use your own words
- Use bullets
- 3 sources, not including encyclopedias or wikipedias
- Cite your sources
Final Research Paper:
- 5 pages
- Due Friday, December 9
Get Help from the Library
Learning Resource Center, 2nd Floor
(415) 485 - 9656
Frequently Asked Questions
- A - Z List of Databases at College of Marin Library
- Citing Sources
- Copyright for Faculty at College of Marin
- Evaluating Websites
- Fake News
- Finding Books
- Finding Government Statistics
- Get Started
- Getting a Library Card and Checking Out Books
- Google Scholar
- How to Read a Scholarly Article
- How-To Videos: Tips for Advanced Research & More!
- Magazines and Newspapers in Print at COM Libraries
- Public: Open to the Public
- Research Process: A Step-By-Step Guide
- Search Techniques
- Technology at College of Marin
- Thesis Statements
- Types of Sources
- Upcoming Events at College of Marin Library
- What is Peer-Reviewed Research?