Get Help from the Library
Learning Resources Center
Mon-Thurs: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Fri: 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Indian Valley Campus
Main Building, Room 124
The Library has two copies of the 2nd edition and one copy of the 3rd edition of this textbook on course reserve. You will need your COM Library card to check out a copy of this book.
Prior to your class presentation, provide your instructor with a brief outline of your presentation:
- Write in bullet form
- Include your main points
- 1-2 pages (ideally, your outline will be a 1-page summary)
- Include at least 3 sources:
- You can use encyclopedias or Wikipedia but don’t include them in your necessary 3 sources.
- Academic Journal Articles
- Cite your sources
- Use your own words!
Examples of Presentation Topics
Research a particular event in international relations, such as:
- Bretton Woods Conference: What was the Bretton Woods conference (in 1944) and what are the elements of the “Bretton Woods system”? Has that same system continued from 1945 to the present day?
- Iraq: Explain the invasion of Iraq by the USA and its allies in 2003 using:
- Chemical Weapons Convention: What is the Chemical Weapons Convention? Has it been a success or a failure? Using the example of Syria explain how the CWC and the organization behind it, the OPCW, works.Is there an effective international Chemical Weapons Convention regime in place?
- Ebola Crisis: What has been the UN response to the Ebola Crisis in West Africa? What other organizations have responded to this crisis? Do you see evidence of an effective international regime that can respond to this crisis?
- NATO: What is the history of NATO? Is NATO a genuinely defensive organzation or an aggressive one? Evaluate NATO from three theoretical perspectives and explain how it fits into the different levels of foreign policy (individual, national, international, global). Is NATO part of an effective "international security regime?"
- Treaty on Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons: What is the history of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT)? Has this treaty been a success or a failure? Has it brought more security or less, and who is more or less secure? Is there an effective NPT "regime?"
- NPT and Iran: Explain the complexity of the issue of compliance with the NPT in the case of Iran. Would Iran be more secure with nuclear weapons or not? Give a theoretical perspective with three of the theories we have studied.